Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Our 5 Seconds of Fame-Update


Today the international adoption article that I was interviewed for was published in a local paper. You can take a peek at it online here. The hard copy of the article includes a picture of the whole brood around the dinner table(you can see the top of my head as I am hunched over scooting in Xander's booster seat-quite attractive...) with the caption, "It's a full table at the household of Matt and Jennifer Bouton, but the couple says there's room for one more. After all the paperwork, they are now waiting for a referral so they can adopt a Chinese baby."

I was under the impression that the experiences of several pre and post-adoptive families would be included in the article but there were only two, including us. I really enjoyed reading about the other family who has been blessed by adoption many times over, both internationally and domestically. I was particularly pleased to see that they offered a hefty dose of reality and acknowledged the potential bonding and attachment challenges that adoptive families often face.
I'm left feeling a little bit as though I had much more important/interesting things to say regarding our adoption experience thus far but it would have been inappropriate to offer a soliloquoy on the subject; I could only answer the questions that were asked. Overall, the reporter did a fairly good job, especially for someone with zero adoption knowledge before the article was researched and written.

The article mentions that I once taught 7th grade English and am now working in the adoption field as a home study case worker. I just love (not) that I am quoted as saying, "Coaching eager and receptive families beats convincing apathetic 12-year-olds of the importance of literature." I did say that, more or less, but the comment was preceded by, "Don't print this, but..." I guess she forgot that part. ;0) Oh well, it's true!

No comments: