Wednesday, January 25, 2006

My First Negative Comment! I've arrived!

I have enjoyed reading other people's China-adoption websites and blogs for well over a year now. The process has been educational on many levels...I knew that it was only a matter of time before this happened to me...so hilarious! This comment was left on my post yesterday. The comments from "anonymous" are in italics. My responses are not:

Congratulations on your new addition to the family. (Thank you!) But are you really going to name your kid Meili? (Why, yes! I certainly am.) Most Chinese people consider that name to be very "tu" which means "tacky" or "unrefined". (Great! If she lives up to her name, she'll fit in around here even better than we anticipated!!!) Maybe you should consult with some Chinese friends to come up with a more meaningful name. (Hmm...Did you read my long-winded post entitled "I think she has a name!?" If so, you would see that the name has enough meaning to suit our needs.) Meili is NOT a good name. Actually it's terrible. (So, what's your name? Maybe I'll name her after you!) I'm not trying to be mean. (Really?) I'm just being honest. (Like you were when you signed your name "anonymous?") But then again, my family is Chinese but they're from Taiwan. Maybe they do names differently in China. (Perhaps. Luckily for her in this matter, she will spend most of her time here in U.S. where just about anything goes. I have other children who have names that are far worse and are pulling it off with style. I expect that she will do the same. Just wait... "Meili" will be making a comeback!)

So...if you are currently or soon-to-be processing an adoption from China, consider yourself educated or at least informed of the negative comment inevitability. It's not all rainbows and kittens in cyberspace. To each his own!



5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think the name you chose is beautiful. My husband, who is Chinese, and I are in the process of adopting a little girl from China. You can check out our blog at www.colemanchan.blogspot.com. Best of luck!
Stephanie

Ava's family said...

I personally LOVE the name however, it really doesn't go well with my last name. I'm in your Feb DTC group so, you can see what I mean! :) I guess you just can't please everybody! When my 1st daughter was born we named her Hope. Our neighbor actually said..
"You can always change it!" This is coming from a lady named Erma!!!
(I apologize to all the Erma's out there)

Elle said...

You are cracking me up! I think Meili is a wonderful name!

SARA said...

I think Meili is a beautiful name! We almost chose it ourselves! You know what, you are right, in the US now, anything goes. Look at all the rediculous names people give their children. This is a name with real meaning to you and your husband. That is all that matters! If people don't like it, maybe they should just go back to Taiwan! Where everyone has names that aren't so "tacky".....like "anonymous".... What kind of a name is that? LOL Just brush it off. The world is full of critics living in glass houses and throwing stones! Hope you get DTC soon!

Jenn said...

Thanks girls! I am feeling the love... So glad there are some normal people out there to counteract the wackos! -Jenn